In this week’s episode of Birth Kweens, Karly and Ali get into the nitty gritty details of postpartum sex and fertility – YAS KWEEN! Here’s a list of the specific things that the gals cover in this episode:
- How tearing during birth can impact postpartum sex
- The details about perineal massage during pregnancy – does it really help prevent tearing and is it worth the time/energy/lubricant that it requires?!
- When it’s safe to resume sex after giving birth and the risks associated with having sex before you’re completely healed
- The wide spectrum of normal when it comes to how soon women are ready to resume sex postpartum
- The various kinds of sensations that women can experience during postpartum sex and some possible root causes of discomfort/pain
- The impact that breastfeeding can have on sex, including libido and lubrication
- The importance of talking with your partner as early as possible about realistic expectations regarding postpartum sex
- The emotional and lifestyle changes of the postpartum period and how those factors can impact sex
- How pelvic floor physical therapy can help with painful intercourse (and all manner of pelvic floor dysfunction!)
- The importance of reconnecting with your body/vagina in the postpartum period and how doing some self-exploration with lubricant can aid in understanding the physical changes that have occurred and whether there’s any scar tissue
- The impact of postpartum mood disorders on sex drive
- How thyroid issues can impact libido
- Fertility in the postpartum period – when it comes back and how you know that you’re fertile again
- How breastfeeding impacts fertility and whether it is REALLY an effective means of birth control
- How your birth control options change postpartum, especially if you’re breastfeeding
- The Justisse Method book about fertility awareness
- The Fertile Focus Ovulation Microscope
- A basal body temperature thermometer that syncs with smartphones
- The super cool and fancy fertility tracking systems offered by Daysy and KindaraHere are the products mentioned in this show:
- YES Personal Lubricant (water-based! won’t feed the yeast beast inside of you!!!)
- Sir Richard’s Condoms – a natural alternative to the typical [chemical-ridden] condoms being used by most people
That’s all for this episode of the show! Thanks for listening, Kweens!
Did you like this episode? Please subscribe, rate, review, and share!
The Birth Kweens get down to the nitty gritty of pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and women’s health. For more from us, visit birthkweens.com. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, suggestions and feedback.