Karly and Ali talk with the incredible Kimberly Johnson about the importance of women being nurtured and supported throughout the ‘fourth trimester’, or the postpartum period. Kimberly is a Sexological Bodyworker, Somatic Experiencing trauma resolution practitioner, birth doula, and single mom who specializes in helping women prepare for birth, recover from birth injuries and birth trauma, and heal from sexual trauma. She is the founder of Magamama.com, an international holistic women’s health care resource for expectant and new mothers. She is the co-founder of the STREAM School for Postpartum Care, where she trains birth professionals, yoga teachers, somatic therapists, and bodyworkers to help women prepare for birth and recover from birth. She is also the author of The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions and Restoring Your Vitality. Kimberly talks with the Birth Kweens about her own difficult postpartum experience and how that led her down the path of birth work and trauma healing. Here’s what you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Kimberly’s own birth and postpartum experience with her 10 year old daughter, particularly how unprepared she was for the postpartum period
- How the physical trauma she experienced from her birth resulted in years of pain and pelvic floor dysfunction which ultimately led her down a path of seeking out alternative, non-surgical modalities of healing
- The huge gaps that exist in postpartum care, particularly regarding the lack of training and knowledge that midwives and obstetricians have about treating scar tissues and pelvic floor dysfunction
- The importance of addressing the mind AND the body to achieve complete postpartum healing
- The reason Kimberly was driven to write her book and what she’s hoping to accomplish with it
- A few other helpful books about postpartum healing that Kimberly used in her journey to healing:
- Click here for Natural Health After Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Welless by Aviva Jill Romm
- Click here for The First Forty Days: The Essential Art of Nourishing the New Mother by Heng Ou
- Click here for Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, Early Motherhood – and Trusting Yourself and Your Body by Erica Chidi Cohen
- The 5 universal needs of every postpartum woman and why meeting these needs will heal us on a societal level.
- Click here to buy Kimberly’s wonderful new book, The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions and Restoring Your Vitality
- Click here to see the promo video for the book.
- Click here to listen to Kimberly podcast MAGAMAMA
Thanks for listening to another episode of the Birth Kweens Podcast!
Did you like this episode? Please subscribe, rate, review, and share!
The Birth Kweens get down to the nitty gritty of pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and women’s health. For more from us, visit birthkweens.com. Follow us on Instagram @BirthKweens and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions, suggestions and feedback.